Comprehensive documentation on the ACS is available at the Census Bureau's ACS web page. SHADAC has compiled some resources and links, below, that focus specifically on the health insurance coverage question.
ACS Estimates of Health Insurance Coverage:
SHADAC's State Health Compare, to generate health insurance coverage tables from the ACS from 2008 to present.
SHADAC's compiled tables from American Fact Finder:
- 2012-2016 ACS
- 2016 ACS
- 2011-2015 ACS
- 2015 ACS
- 2010-2014 ACS
- 2014 ACS
- 2009-2013 ACS
- 2013 ACS
- 2008-2012 ACS
- 2012 ACS
- 2011 ACS
Direct links to ACS health insurance tables in American FactFinder:
- 2012 ACS 1-year
- 2009-2011 ACS 3-year
- 2011 ACS 1-year
- 2010 ACS
- 2009 ACS
- Re-run of 2008 ACS health insurance coverage tables to reflect the logical public program edits (as applied to the 2009 ACS).
Census Bureau briefs:
- 2012 ACS: "Mitigating the Loss of Private Insurance With Public Coverage for the Under-65 Population: 2008 to 2012"
- 2011 ACS: "Health Insurance Coverage of Young Adults Aged 19 to 25: 2008, 2009, and 2011."
- 2010 ACS: “Health Insurance Coverage of Workers Aged 18 to 64, by Work Experience: 2008 and 2010.”
- 2009 ACS: "Health Insurance Coverage of Children Under Age 19: 2008 and 2009."
ACS Briefs, Working Papers and Journal Articles:
- Estimates of Direct Purchase from the ACS and Medicaid Misreporting: Is there a link?, issue brief released May 2014.
- Accuracy of Medicaid reporting in the ACS: Preliminary results from linked data, working paper released October 2013.
- Understanding 1-, 3-, and 5-year ACS Estimates: Summary Tabulations and Public Use Files, issue brief released September 2012.
- State-Level Health Insurance Coverage Estimates from the 2010 American Community Survey, issue brief released April 2012
- Small Area Health Insurance Estimates from the Census Bureau: 2008 and 2009, issue brief released October 2011.
- State-Level Health Insurance Coverage Estimates from the 2009 American Community Survey, issue brief released July 2011.
- Monitoring the Impacts of Health Reform at the State Level: Using Federal Survey Data, issue brief released March 2011.
- Comparing Health Insurance Estimates from the American Community Survey and the Current Population Survey, issue brief released September 2010.
- A Summary of the American Community Survey Logical Edits Applied to Health Insurance Coverage, technical brief released December 2010.
- An Introduction to the American Community Survey Health Insurance Coverage Estimates, issue Brief released September 2009.
- A Preliminary Evaluation of Health Insurance Coverage in the 2008 American Community Survey, September 2009 evaluation paper produced by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Applying and Evaluating Logical Coverage Edits to Health Insurance Coverage in the American Community Survey, August 2010 evaluation paper produced by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Census Bureau's ACS design and methodology report.
- SHADAC's ACS sample size by state, beginning with 2008 (the first year with health insurance estimates) and updated annually. The file includes sample counts from the public use microdata sample (PUMS) and from the full file.
- Census Bureau's ACS questionnaires web page.
- Census Bureau's ACS data and documentation web page.
SHADAC's Annual Data Release Webinars
Each year upon release of the annual estimates for the CPS and ACS (usually late August or September), SHADAC hosts a webinar (formerly conference calls) featuring featuring representatives from the U.S. Census Bureau.
The webinars are open to the public and the purpose is to discuss any issues or concerns. A summary of each year's call is below. To get information on future calls please sign up for our mailing list (lower right corner of our home page) or check our news page in late August.
- 2016 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 19, 2017
- 2015 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 21, 2016
- 2014 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 22, 2015
- 2013 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 24, 2014
- 2012 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 23, 2013
- 2011 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 25, 2012
- 2010 ACS and CPS State Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 2011
- 2009 ACS and CPS Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, October 2010.
- 2008 ACS Health Insurance Estimates Webinar, September 2009.
County-level health insurance estimates (SAHIE)
Many analysts seek sub-state (county, metro area) health insurance estimates. The Census Bureau has developed modeled estimates based on multiple years of data.