Our Focus Areas
Federal Survey Data Release Schedule
American Community Survey (ACS)
An ongoing general household survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau that provides annual estimates of health insurance coverage at the national, state, and sub-state geographies.
September 15, 2016
• 1-Year 2015 data release on American FactFinder
October 20, 2016
• 1-Year 2015 Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) File
December 8, 2016
• 5-Year (2011-2015) Data Release on American FactFinder
January 19, 2017
• 5-Year (2011-2015) Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) File
Current Population Survey (CPS)
A monthly household survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Data on income and health insurance coverage is collected in its Annual Social and Economic Supplement administered in February through April. Annual health insurance estimates are provided for the nation and states.
• 2015 National Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Statistics
Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
MEPS is a two component survey sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The MEPS-Insurance Component (IC) is a survey of employers that provide data on employer-based health insurance. The MEPS-Household Component (HC) is a panel household survey that is supplemented with data from the respondents' medical providers.
• 2015 MEPS-IC Health Insurance Tables – Private-Sector National Estimates
• 2015 MEPS-IC Health Insurance Tables – Private-Sector State and Metro Area Estimates
• 2014 MEPS-HC Health Insurance Coverage Tables - All of 2014
National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)
A continuous cross-sectional household interview survey conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) which is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It provides information on the health of the U.S. population and includes questions about health insurance coverage, health care utilization and access, and health conditions and behaviors, in addition to demographic and socioeconomic characteristics.
• 2015 full-year estimates
• Additional estimates for sub-annual time periods are released through the NHIS Early Release Program in September, November/December, and February/March each year
Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
A state-based survey sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that focuses on population health, risk factors, and health behaviors for the adult population.
• Annual Survey Data for 2015
*Based on previous data release calendars.
For more information on these surveys see SHADAC's Brief Using Recent Revisions to Federal Surveys for Measuring the Effects of the Affordable Care Act.
Page last updated May 2016.